THE FEAST

Dear Kate,

"Reverence" was a question and it would only matter to a spiritually quickened person such as a Jesus follower, or so I thought. Here is the question. 

"If reverence was an essential condiment that made every meal we serve God to be completely satisfying as an act of worship, is it on your table?" How do you characterize reverence?

After watching some cooking shows with you in our alcove, it is clear that reverence is not reserved for church. Do you remember the "Chopped" episode we watched when one of the judges criticized one of the competitors for their lack of respect for the fish in the dish? He used the word "reverence." It is not the first time I have heard someone speak of the value of the food we eat in reverent terms.

A strong impression rests on my heart that Jesus does not owe it to me or any other follower to bless our worship life when it is void of reverence.

When that impression first came clear and I wondered about it, there came a vision of a feast. Jesus ate with us as an honored guest. The attendees were the preparers of the meal and there was a competing between them to be preferred for their dish. Perceiving Jesus thoughts in a moment when He stood to scan the heaped up table, He was heard to muse, "I'm full, but I am not satisfied." 

I understood that the missing condiment that would have made the feast perfect is reverence. Reverence sprinkles, sauces and seasons everything with honor.

The feast in the vision was not about the honored guest or the provisions. The feast was about the preparation, the dishes, and the abundance and notice that each of the preparers did or did not receive. 

Where was the honor? 
Where was the hospitality? 
Where was the welcome? 
Where was the glad atmosphere? 
Where was the joy? 
Where was the warm smile?

All those components of reverence were lost in the vying for attention and the shallow vanity of soul. It was bitter, though sobering, to hear Jesus say, "I will no longer bless worship that is void of reverence."

There is this, however. Jesus WILL bless our fellowship with Him as it IS reverent.

Since reverence is a spiritual part of the atmosphere of eternity and it does not originate with humanity, I have asked and do ask Jesus to grant me a reverent heart. I pray that my pantry will abound with honor and respect for Jesus and His creation.

Reverent, Nurturing Love,
William (your Boaz)



(c)2014

Comments

Popular Posts