MAKING PEACE WITH SCARS

          Last week, William and I had the privilege of speaking to a group of women who like me, have been scared and scarred by life.  My scars are the results of scary things that have happened to me at the hands of other people and too, the scars are layer upon layer of consequences from things I have done and choices I have made.
         On one occasion early in our courtship, I said to Bill, “Your scars are on the outside and mine are on the inside.”  As God has revealed our scars to one another, we have come to see that brokenness is universal…something we all share in common.  After all, there is such a thing as typical human behavior and hurting people do hurt others.  A problem arises when I think, “MY brokenness is special and unique.  NO ONE in the world has had it as bad as I have or could possibly have been mistreated worse than me.”  It sets me up to perpetually play the martyr in ALL my relationships when I fail to let God heal and deliver me to LIFE!
           Bill’s reply to my early comparison about our scars was, “Yes, but I’ve made peace with mine.” 
         Now we talk frequently about making peace with scars and how to do that with biblical understanding.  It has not been easy or without pain from picking at a few scabs or when it feels like someone else is pulling off a bandage ever sooooo slowly…you know, one of those “out of my control” things!  “Oh, just give it a RIP and let’s grow some new skin” is NOT a ready phrase, but my spiritual dad, a retired medical doctor, knew exactly how to tend my wound care when he asked me, “How long are you going to hang on to that, Kate?”
         It was like Jesus asking the lame man by the pool of Bethesda, “Do you really want to be well?” After listening to his excuses, Jesus said, “Arise, take up your bed and walk.” (John 5)  I, too, realized I did have some choices in the responsibility of my wound care.
         Life is a daily choice and filled with many chances to choose life when in survival mode.  It’s a critical exercise for thriving in mental health.  To realize that the strength of my soul resides in my will and desire to choose LIFE is paramount to moving beyond brokenness.
         Paul tells us in 2 Cor 2:14, “Thanks be to God who always leads us to triumph through Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place.”  EVERY PLACE.  The knowledge of Him in every place.   Thanks be to God to know He is always at work.  And the work is always good.  No matter what life, circumstances, and relationships look like or how it all feels, God is working in us, for us and through us to write Himself on other’s lives.
         Paul continues in chapter 3 reminding the Corinthians that they are “his letters of introduction" (or recommendation).  Have you ever needed someone’s letter of reference to introduce your skills in the workplace or to vouch for your character, credibility and friendship qualities?  Paul needed no letters.  After all, the early church in Corinth was written on the walls of the apostle’s heart just as he was written in their halls of remembrance. 
         All the women present on the several occasions when I have shared my story are also written on my heart in the same way.  You are my letters to be known and read by others.   Grace now affords you the future opportunities to write your miracle story on someone else’s heart.
         Another way God has enabled me to make peace with my heart scars is to know without doubt that “GOOD IS COMING” from my scars.  Not HAS or WILL COME but IS COMING, present tense.  I know it, believe it, and I choose to be transformed by God’s Grace.  My faith is more than a wish or even a prayer but my hope requires an activation that continues to test, challenge and strengthen my resolve to continue making peace with my scars. 
         I want to leave you with one thought as I close this post today.  “Scars are the evidence of the miracle of LIFE.”  You are an unfinished assignment.  You may have already accomplished what God purposed for you to do here on planet Earth.  But if you are still breathing, you have MORE to do here for Him. 
         And while that is scary, you can trust Him to lead you with His Righteous right hand.  Only when you have a deep, abiding and passionate relationship with God through Jesus Christ can you truly make peace with your scars…inside and out.   

Psalm 63 Vs. 6-8
The Thirsting Soul Satisfied in God

When I remember You on my bed,
I meditate on You in the night watches,
For You have been my help,
And in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy.
My soul clings to You;

Your right hand upholds me.

(c) Copyright 2014

Comments

  1. Kate, I've always loved your beautiful words. Thank you for sharing this post about your inner scars. They are so hard to heal. I pray that one day I'll allow healing in myself and will realize my true worth to my Lord.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts